Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lessons Learned

Today, I was unpacking from our spring break trip to Co. I asked Dallin to help me with the boys suitcase before playing with his friend. Blake was following us around. As I unloaded the boys suitcases, Dallin ran and put the items where they belonged. While we were in the boys room, Blake became interested in his big brothers toys and started wandering around pulling things out of their places.

My conversation with Dallin went as follows:

Dallin: BLAKE stop making messes when mom and I are trying to clean.

Blake: huh?

Mom: It's not a big deal, Dal!

Dallin: It's a big deal to me cause I'm the one haveTing to clean up after him.

Mom: I'll take care of it, let's leave him alone and focus on what we're doing.

A few minutes pass, Blake dumps the bucket of Lincoln Logs

Dallin: No, no, no, Blake.

Blake moves on to a Lego horse in the mouth

Dallin: Blaaaakkkeee deep breath pleeeeaaase stop!

Mom: Hey Dal, really don't worry about it.

Dallin: But there is slober all over my Lego mom.

Mom: Educational opp. Babies learn by getting into things. It's important for them to explore. They make messes because babies need to touch things, look at them, and sometimes even taste them in order to learn about them. Blake's just trying to discover what these big boy toys are all about. Let's just leave him be while we finish up here, Okay?

Dallin:No comment, slight nod.

A few minutes pass

Dallin: Mom?

Mom: Yes

Dallin: I understand how we need to learn to be smart and grow bigger ... but how come it is so important for babies to learn how to just make big messes and then five year olds need to learn to clean everything up?????????

4 comments:

Blackburns said...

I can understand how Dallin feels. I used to have to clean up after my little sister all the time. It is hard work. I can't wait to see you and your boys in a WEEK!

Anonymous said...

Well put, Dallin!

Mama and Papa Swenson said...

Joyce, Thank you for sharing this experience. Dallon's question indicates his insightfulness. When you were young, I was often impressed by your insights and occasionally stumped. I hope you were able to provide Dallon with a good answer? Love always, Dad

Caywoods said...

I love the way little kids' minds work. Tell Dallin we love him and we understand his frustration. I feel like my days are just one clean-up after another.